We enjoy a good listicle as much as the next person, and we thought it was high time you had one with Lake County flavor.
Your Little Lake County writers may hail from all over the state, midwest, and United States, but today we are all proud to call Lake County our home. So we’ve become pretty adept at sniffing out one of our own. Peruse our list and see if you pass the sniff test and qualify as a true Lake County resident.
25 Ways You Know You’re From Lake County, Illinois
- You own a boat but it spends more time in your driveway than in the water.
- You are never more than 20 minutes away from a cornfield.
- You have almost as many Packers Fans on your block as there are Bears Fans.
- You can correctly pronounce the word “paczki” and you know who Casimir Pulaski is… sort of…
- You understand that Route 83 isn’t always Route 83 because sometimes it’s Route 60 or sometimes it’s Route 45 but it never is actually Route 137.
- People from Chicago think you live in Wisconsin.
- You know how to spell “Mundelein” (“i” before “e” except when it’s Mundelein!)
- You understand that North Chicago is not actually in Chicago nor is it really anywhere near Chicago. The North part is right though.
- You may be geographically closer to Milwaukee but still say you’re from a “suburb of Chicago.” (I’m looking at you Antioch…)
- You have a relative that works for Abbott, CDW, Baxter, or Walgreen’s (or you work for Abbott, CDW, Baxter, or Walgreen’s.)
- At least once a week you are late for work, school, practice, or an appointment because of a freight train.
- You say “Great America” instead of “Six Flags.”
- You have a season pass to Great America.
- When you are out of town and visit that area’s Forest Preserves and think they are lame. Lake County Forest Preserves FTW.
- 40 degrees = short pants!
- Sometimes, you visit Long Grove just because, even when there isn’t a festival.
- You have an annual subscription to the Marriott Theatre in Lincolnshire.
- You know at least four different ways to avoid driving on Route 120 and Route 176.
- You try to fly out of General Mitchell because it’s easier than it is to fly out of O’Hare ($13 for the daily parking! Flights that depart on time! Woot!)
- You can always find a seat on the Metra into the city.
- You miss the albino crocodile in Gurnee Mills but know that you can still get your reptile fix at the Wildlife Discovery Center.
- You complain about taxes. A lot. But you would never, ever, ever dream of living in Cook County (ahhh!), McHenry County (zzzz…), or heaven forbid Kenosha County (do they even have running water there?)
- You understand that no one is growing crops over at Lambs Farm, but they are nurturing human dignity. They also do in fact have lambs along with a sizable herd of goats and other lovable creatures
- You help shovel your neighbor’s driveway during a blizzard but you don’t stick a chair or an ironing board on it afterward.
- If you’re a parent, you follow Little Lake County to be in the know on where-to-go to have fun with your kids.
What would you add to the list?
Disclosure: We do in fact love McHenry, Cook and Kenosha Counties too, just not as much as Lake County.
When Loralie isn’t out exploring with her two pint-sized adventurers you’ll often find her in front of her computer plotting to take over the world (or at least Lake County.) She appreciates good friends, good food, expensive shoes and parents who make two lanes in the drop-off/pick-up line at school. Her spirit animal is The Hobbit. She invites you to join her on her quest for unique distractions, diversions and deliciousness in this county we call home.