I recently accepted the job of homeschooling my two youngest children. Both boys… Both full of energy. I started by doing what most everyone does these days when trying to learn a new skill: Googled it. In doing so, I found lots of great resources and met some amazingly talented people along the way. Listed below are my favorite websites. But, they’re not just for homeschoolers; they’re for public schoolers, private schoolers, after schoolers, and unschoolers.
- A 2 Z Homeschooling
- Chicagoland Homeschool Network
- Books for Boys
- Johnsburg Public Library Homeschool Resource Center
- Homeschool Share.com great resource for lap book ideas
- For curriculum reviews: Cathy Duffy Reviews
- Mama Lisa’s World of International Music and Culture
- Confessions of a Homeschooler
- Education.com Ideas for classroom teachers. (But who says we can’t use them too?)
- Get moving and get rewarded for it: Presidential Youth Fitness Program
- Everything you need for a Waldorf inspired homeschool
The Lake County Forest Preserves offers a Homeschool Companion class monthly at select locations, see the website for upcoming dates.
Despite all that’s available on-line, the best resource by far has been our local library. Our librarians offer assistance with everything from choosing a curriculum to finding a support group. They are my new best friends. If you are new to homeschooling, I advise you to meet your local librarians. And, if you are a seasoned homeschooler, please share your favorite resources in the comment section below.