Spring is a great time for taking family photos outside. Bright skies, blooming trees, and greenery are great backdrops for family pictures, and I personally love the candid shots you get of kids just being kids. Photographs also make the perfect gifts for mothers and grandmothers (hint, hint, dad). We polled our Facebook Fans and asked some of our favorite photographers and put together a list of the best spots in Lake County for outdoor photos.
Best Places in Lake County for Outdoor Photos
Lake County has a something for everyone, from bridges to beaches to forests and prairies. We’ve tried to mark which locales have bridges as we know that’s a popular feature.
- Downtown Long Grove (bridge) near the crossroads of Old McHenry and Robert Parker Coffin Road
Cute historic downtown and covered bridge.
- Nippersink Forest Preserve, 900 West Belvidere Road, Round Lake
Prairie, woods, boardwalks, lakes and fishing piers–there’s something for everyone.
- Sun Lake Forest Preserve, 22925 W. Grass Lake Road, Lake Villa (bridges)
- Chicago Botanic Gardens, 1000 Lake Cook Road, Glencoe
Gorgeous Gardens for whatever style you want, bridges, water, fountains–they have it all.
- Independence Grove Forest Preserve (bridge), 16400 West Buckley Road, Libertyville
- Illinois Beach State Park, 1 Lake Front Drive, Zion
- Captain Daniel Wright Woods Forest Preserve, 24839 St. Mary’s Road, Mettawa
- Grant Woods Forest Preserve (bridge), 25405 West Monaville Road, Ingleside
Fans recommend the walking paths on Monaville Road, near Route 59.
- Fort Sheridan Forest Preserve (bridge), 117 Sheridan Road, Lake Forest
Bridge and gorgeous lake views.
- Arbortheater, 50 Memorial Drive, Vernon Hills (across from high school)
- Ryerson Woods Conservation Area, 21950 North Riverwoods Road, Riverwoods
- Butler Lake, 810 W. Lake Street, Libertyville
- Behind Wauconda Park District Building (bridge), 600 N. Main Street, Wauconda
- Big Bear Lake, 1001 Lakeview Parkway, Vernon Hills
- Hastings Lake Forest Preserve, 21155 W. Gelden Road, Lake Villa
- McDonald Woods Forest Preserve, 19611 West Grass Lake Road, Lindenhurst
Now, if you’re looking for some professional help with your photos, the photographers in our Little Lake County Photographers Pool are sure to capture these great locations with more skill than your smartphone. Click the graphic below to find out who we’ve worked with in the past:
What is your favorite spot for photos?
Please note: Professional photographers with equipment will require permits to shoot photos at many of these locations. If you’re a professional, please remember to check with the individual sites for their policy before you go. Families taking amateur photos of themselves are welcome to do so without a permit.