The first week in May, Goodwill Industries is celebrating the power of work. Through employment for individuals, education, training, and services, Goodwill “strives to enhance the dignity and quality of life of individuals and families by helping people reach their full potential…” By shopping at your local Goodwill or donating goods, you too are assisting in the Goodwill mission. During this week, Goodwill is recognizing some remarkable individuals that have participated in their program.
In addition to those things that are quite worthy of celebration, I am celebrating GREAT DEALS. I have a confession to make: I am a Goodwill addict. I LOVE shopping Goodwill, antiques store, garage sales, flea markets, Craig’s list, and Facebook resale groups. The best part of shopping at Goodwill is that they have a little bit of everything, and the price is almost always right.
Tips for a successful trip to Goodwill:
- Be patient and willing to dig.
- Leave the kids at home. Unless you’re going to pack your them into the cart with an iPad and snacks, this isn’t my idea of family friendly shopping.
- Weekends can be a little crazy there; weekday mornings are the best time to go.
- If you’re going looking for something specific, take a walk through the whole store. You never know what you’ll find that you must have.
- Get a cart, even if you’re not planning on buying much.
- If you’re shopping for clothes, keep in mind that the sizes are often mixed up on the racks.
- Watch for the door to the back room to open. If you can catch them unloading new stuff (which they do all day), you will not be disappointed.
I don’t think I could go through a room in my house without finding something I scored at Goodwill–maybe my powder room. Some of my most recent kid’s steals at the Round Lake Beach Goodwill are:
Oh, and I can’t forget to mention the stacks of kid’s books! Kids books are always $.99.
If haven’t shopped your local Goodwill yet, what are you waiting for? For the sake of being green, saving money, and for the thrill of a great deal, check one out this week . Come back and tell us about your steals!
Editors Note: I love Goodwill for party decorations and favors! We did a dress up tea party for my daughter’s fourth birthday and we got beautiful cups, and enough to send all the girls home with one!