What do you do with all the seeds inside the pumpkins your kids carve? Why not treat this new take on your classic roasted pumpkins seeds. A healthy treat that’s the perfect antidote to all the sweet treats so prevalent this time of year. This recipe comes to us from Chef Erin Brew, the executive pastry chef at the Fairmont Chicago.
Roasted Pumpkin Seed Recipe
- All seeds from a medium-sized pumpkin
- 2T salt (for water)
- 1T Olive oil
Savory Spice Mixture Ingredients:
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon salt
Sweet Spice Mixture Ingredients
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp sugar
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Remove the seeds from the pumpkin and rinse under lukewarm running water.
- Fill a small saucepan 1/2 way with water and add the seeds. Add 2 tablespoons of salt. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and drain.
- Toss seeds with Olive Oil and your choice of spice mixture spices.
- Spread seeds out over a roasting pan, all in one layer. Bake on the top rack. After about 10 minutes, give the pan a shake to move seeds around. Continue baking until the seeds begin to brown. Remove from oven and cool. Taste and add a bit more seasoning mix or salt if desired.
What’s your favorite way to eat pumpkin seeds? Sweet or savory? Still need a pumpkin? Find a pumpkin patch near you!