Please note that we are not a medical expert and are just trying to be a source of good useful information to our community. If you are feeling ill please contact your physician.
Experts have advised that the best thing for our community during the current Coronavirus pandemic is to reduce crowded gatherings. Some of the events listed on our website may occur while others have been canceled. Please check with the hosting venue, and exercise caution when selecting outings.
Ultimately it is your decision if you choose to continue to go to public events and spaces.
We’ll be collecting local resource links here in one place, along with information from the CDC and the Lake County Health Department so you can stay informed.
Lake County Closures and Cancelations:
We are starting to see notices for closures and cancelations due to coronavirus precautions. We are hoping to keep this list of places updated but as you know things are moving fast. If you know of an event or space that is closed, please comment below, links from the source are encouraged.
- Antioch Public Library is closed until April 1, 2020
- Barrington Area Library is closed.
- Cook Memorial Public Library District (Libertyville, Vernon Hills) has canceled all March Programs, both locations and the bookmobile will close starting March 16.
- Deerfield Park District – Patty Turner Center is closed, Theater D productions are canceled.
- Deerfield Public Library is closed.
- Ela Area Public Library (Lake Zurich) is closed through March 29.
- Fremont Public Library (Mundelein) has canceled all programs through March with the exception of AARP Tax Preparation and ESL Tutoring Services.
- Village of Fox Lake offices are closed to the public until March 27. All Parks and Recreation Programs are canceled.
- Fox Lake District Library will be closed March 18 – March 30.
- Genesee Theatre (Waukegan) has canceled shows through April 11, please see the full list of shows at the link above.
- Glencoe Park District is closed and all activities canceled March 13-29.
- Glencoe Public Library will be closed starting at 6:00 p.m.m on March 13 through April 1.
- Gorton Community Center (Lake Forest) is closing or postponing classes through April, please see link above for which events and classes. The Children’s Drop-in Learning Center follows the school district and will be closed March 16 through April 3. Gorton’s offices will remain open.
- Grayslake Area Public Library is closed through March 29.
- Grayslake Park District is currently running as scheduled except for Nifty Fisity Seniors Club (March 18) and After School Sports Mania at Meadowview and Woodview Schools.
- Gurnee Park District all facilities, programs, and services are open with the exception of All Park District programs at Woodland District 50 schools, canceled through April 6. All Park District Programs at Warren Township High School canceled through March 30.
- GLMV Extreme Block Party and Expo have been postponed from March 30 at the Mundelein Doubletree to November 7.
- Grandwood Park Friday Fish fry is postponed.
- Park District of Highland Park facilities and classes will be closed until further notice.
- Highland Park Public Library is closed until further notice.
- Highwood Public Library will be closed and all events canceled March 13 through April 13.
- Home Depot has canceled the monthly kid’s workshops.
- Indian Trails Public Library District (Wheeling) is closed through March 29, all programs are canceled through March 31.
- College of Lake County is canceling non-business, non-curricular events for a two-week period starting Saturday, March 14 through Sunday, March 29, 2020.
- Lake Bluff Park District is open but limiting open gym to 40 participants.
- Lake Bluff Public Library is closed until further notice.
- Lake County Forest Preserves has canceled all of its programming beginning at 5 pm Friday, March 13, through Tuesday, March 31. Educational facilities, including the Dunn Museum in Libertyville and the Ryerson Welcome Center in Riverwoods, will be closed.
- Zurko Antiques & Flea Market at the Lake County fairgrounds is canceled.
- The city of Lake Forest has closed Dickinson Hall and suspended programming for the rest of March.
- Lake Forest Dance Academy Passion to Dance Event has been postponed.
- Lake Forest Library is closed through March 31.
- Lake Villa District Library has closed through March 30.
- Village of Lake Villa has canceled the St. Patrick’s Day Parade and Luncheon.
- Village of Lindenhurst for the next 14 days all in person over-the-counter activities at the village including Post Office purchases, permits, and payments will be suspended.
- The Marriott Theatre has canceled the rest of the performances of The Princess and the Pea and Grease.
- The Village of Lincolnshire has suspended all non-essential in-person services for 30 days.
- The Long Grove Park District after-school programs that meet at Kildeer Countryside School and Country Meadows School have been canceled through at least March 29. The Reed-Turner Nature Center building is also closed through March 29.
- Round Lake Area Park District classes and facilities are open with the following exceptions: the Senior Center an all senior activities are canceled until at least April 6. All league activities, including the Round Lake Soccer League, at the Sports Center, have been postponed indefinitely.
- Round Lake Area Public Library is closed until further notice.
- Vernon Area Public Library District is closed until further notice.
- Wauconda Area Public Library is closed.
- Hawthorn Mall has canceled the Easter Bunny set-up as well as all events related to it.
- Waukegan Public Library is closed through April 5.
- Waukegan Park District has canceled all programs and facilities will remain closed through Tuesday, March 17.
- Wheeling Park District has canceled preschool classes March 16 through March 27. Before and After school recreation programs at CCSD21 sites are canceled through March 27. Easter and Earth Day special events have been canceled. See the link above for the full list.
- Mobile Passport Event at the Zion-Benton Public Library has been canceled.
- Warren-Newport Public Library will be closed through March 30.
- Zion-Benton Library is closed until further notice.
- Dance Academy of Libertyville has canceled classes through March 30. They will make arrangements for private lessons, call the office to learn more.
- Lions Martial Arts Academy has canceled classes and testing.
- Kohl Children’s Museum closed until further notice.
Lake County School Closures
On March 13 Governor Pritzker ordered the closing of all K-12 schools March 17 – 30. We will not be updating the below list further since this order supersedes everything else. We will update on March 30.
- Glencoe District 35 – No School March 13, E-Learning March 16 – 20, all activities canceled.
- All Lake County Catholic Schools operated by the Archdiocese of Chicago will be closed starting on Monday, March 16.
- Aptakisic-Tripp School District 102 (Buffalo Grove) Closing March 16 – Monday, April 6. E-Learning will be in place March 17 – April 3, with the exception of Spring Break.
- Community Consolidated School District 46 (Grayslake, Hainesville, Lake Villa, Round Lake Area) Schools will remain open but all non-essential after-school and weekend events and field trips are canceled.
- Lake Zurich Community Unit School District 95 will be closed March 16 – March 27, YMCA before and after school care programs are canceled.
- Emmons School District 33 (Antioch) closed beginning March 16, Elearning to begin March 31 through at least April 3.
- Hawthorn District 73 (Vernon Hills) will be closed beginning March 16 through April 6.
- North Shore School District 112 (Highland Park, Highwood) are closed through at least Tuesday, April 14.
- Rondout School District 72 (Green Oaks, Lake Bluff, Mettawa) will be closed March 16 through at least April 6.
- Fremont School District 79 (Mundelein, Grayslake, Libertyville) all schools closed Monday, March 16 – through April 6.
- Libertyville District 70 Before and After school activities suspended.
- Big Hollow District 38 has closed schools through March 20.
- Waukegan District 60 will be closed through March 30.
Coronavirus Information for Families
We want to make sure you are getting the best information and resources, no memes. Please use these sources for up-to-date information on what you should be doing to protect yourself and your family.
- Lake County Health Department and Community Health Center Coronavirus Page. Also, sign up for their weekly newsletter.
- Illinois Department of Public Health Coronavirus Disease Page
- CDC Coronavirus Disease Page – available in Spanish and Chinese
Family FAQ About COVID-19
We think that knowledge is power. Our friends at RocketCity Moms put together some frequently asked questions families might want to know with answers from the pros… not from some meme found on the Internet.
- What are the symptoms of the Coronavirus?
- How is it different from the flu?
- How does COVID-19 impact, pregnant women? Are they a higher risk if they contract the virus?
- Why are older adults more susceptible?
- How should families be reasonably preparing for a local outbreak?
- What’s the best way to disinfect your home?
- How can I explain Coronavirus to my kids in a way that isn’t scary?
- Coronavirus myths debunked
Cover your cough, wash your hands and be well friends!