Anyone else remember the days as a kid of shopping for new school clothes? As a clothes horse, I loved it. As a mom, I can’t help but tally up the cost of new school supplies, jeans, dance clothes, a second pair of sneakers for school…it adds up fast! My solution? Find what I can at resale events. Why pay full price for that pair of sneakers that sits on the shelf at school on the off-chance my child forgets to wear some on a P.E. day? Same with buying snow pants that (if we’re lucky) are only worn once or twice before they’re outgrown?
Resale events are great for any of these items, as well as a gently used bike, pack-n-play for Grandma’s house, or even that pair of jeans you were waiting to go on sale but never did at that way-too-overpriced retail store.
A couple of tips for resale events:
- Although you may bring your children (unless posted), I find it difficult to shop with them underfoot. With tables and tables of toys, it’s next to impossible to have them try on a raincoat. I sometimes bring them along to pick out one toy and then have my husband whisk them away so I can power shop.
- Before you go, verify your kids’ clothing sizes…including shoe size. A trick I learned: trace your child’s foot on paper and cut around the shape. Bring the cutout with you. Slip it inside shoes to see if the shoes will fit.
- Bring a list of items to look for: that game you don’t want to buy at full price, dress shoes, snow pants, a rain jacket, etc. Some events are pretty crowded and it’s easier if you have a game plan beforehand.
Fall Resale Events in Lake County
Please note that events are listed chronologically. Each event has its own rules and many only take cash or charge admission. Please be sure to look at each specific event’s criteria before heading out.
Here is a list of items found at most of these sales:
- clothing (sizes infant – teen)
- maternity clothing
- dress clothing (holiday dresses, suits, dress shirts)
- toys (dollhouses, ride-on toys, American Girl dolls, action figures)
- indoor playsets (play kitchens, puppet theaters, and Lego tables)
- video games, DVDs, CDs
- shoes (dress shoes, sandals, sneakers, slippers)
- winter wear (jackets, snow pants, boots)
- baby equipment (strollers, diaper bags, breast pumps, pack-n-plays, high chairs)
- furniture (toddler beds, children’s dressers)
- outdoor toys (wagons, ride-on toys, toddler picnic tables)
- sports equipment (gloves, bats, baseball pants, helmets, hockey skates)
- dance clothing (leotards, tutus, ballet slippers, tap shoes)
- books (board books, picture books, chapter books, novels, parenting books)
Note: Most, if not all, events will not have cribs or car seats for sale.
Rhea Lana’s Lake and Cook Sale
207711 North Rand Rd., Kildeer
15 Sept. 10:00 a.mm. – 6:00 p.m.
16, 17, & 18 Sept. 10:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
19 Sept. 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
20 Sept. Half-price days 10:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
21 Sept. Half-price days 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Rhea Lana’ is a week-long upscale resale event. Featuring a cozy boutique environment. They accept cash and credit with no minimum purchase or convenience fees.
Posh Kids Fall/Winter Sale
268 E. Golf Rd., Arlington Heights
12 Sept., 6:00 – 9:00 p.m. (New Mom Presale—need to preregister starting Aug. 28)
13 Sept., 10:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
14 Sept., 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
15 Sept., 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. (many items half off)
Looking for name brand clothing? They only sell those in-demand brands at this sale. They will accept cash, credit card, and Paypal. No admission fee.
Double Take Mother of Twins Club
Thomas Middle School, 1430 N Belmont Ave., Arlington Heights
14 Sept., 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
You may bring a laundry basket; no bags or boxes. $1 admission fee. Credit cards or cash accepted (no checks).
Growing Cents of Style
Canlan Sportsplex, 28156 W. Northpointe Pkwy., Lake Barrington
20 Sept., 4:00 – 7:00 p.m. (New and expecting moms presale for no fee. Register in advance.)
21 Sept., 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
22 Sept., 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
This sale has name brand clothing only. They will also have vendors. Bring your own bags (those large Ikea bags work nicely). Strollers are not allowed. No admission fee. Credit cards or cash accepted (no checks).
Just Between Friends Schaumburg
Soccer City Indoor Sports Facility, 545 S Consumers Ave., Palatine
2 Oct., 5:00 – 8:00 p.m. *Invitation Only* (New parents, teachers, military: click here for tickets)
3 Oct., 10:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. (Click here for your free pass) Free ticket or $3 at the door
4 Oct., 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 pm. – Free admission no ticket needed
5 Oct., 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 pm. – Free admission no ticket needed
They are happy to accept cash, debit cards, Visa, Mastercard or Discover credit cards for payment. FREE parking & admission available at the location!
Lake County Mothers of Twins Club Resale Event
Round Lake Beach Cultural & Civic Center, 2007 Civic Center Way, Round Lake Beach
5 Oct., 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m., $2 cash admission.
Strollers are not allowed inside the resale. Credit cards and cash accepted (expect to pay a small fee if using a credit card). If you are interested in being a seller, email email@example.com.
The Carousel Closet
Libertyville Sports Complex, 1950 N. Highway 45, Libertyville
4 Oct. Presale available at $10 a person
5 Oct. 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., 6 Oct. 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m., free and open to the public
This bi-annual event carries new and gently used designer clothing (ages newborn – 12), toys, books, and equipment. They accept cash or credit, no checks.
Millburn Kids Resale Event
Millburn Middle School, 640 Freedom Way, Lindenhurst
18 & 19 October, watch the Facebook page for hours.
This school fundraiser carries a huge selection of used kids & teen items including clothing, decor, sporting goods and more.
Butterfield Family Association’s Clothing and Toy Sale
Butterfield School, 1441 W. Lake St., Libertyville
25 October, 5:30 – 8:30 p.m.
26 October, 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
The entire gym at Butterfield School is filled with clothing (sizes infant to 18), shoes, costumes (and toys). They do allow you to hold items so you don’t have to tote around a bike with you as you shop. Cash and credit card are accepted.
And if you’re trying to clean out your own supply of endless clothing, books, and shoes, all of the resale/consignment stores and many of the events accept new consignors. Go to their websites to find out more.
Did we miss your favorite resale/consignment shop or sale? Tell us in the comments!