Anyone else remember the days as a kid of shopping for new school clothes? As a clothes horse, I loved it. As a mom, I can’t help but tally up the cost of new school supplies, jeans, dance clothes, a second pair of sneakers for school…it adds up fast! My solution? Find what I can at resale events. Why pay full price for that pair of sneakers that sits on the shelf at school on the off-chance my child forgets to wear some on a P.E. day? Same with buying snow pants that (if we’re lucky) are only worn once or twice before they’re outgrown?
Resale events are great for any of these items, as well as a gently used bike, pack-n-play for Grandma’s house, or even that pair of jeans you were waiting to go on sale but never did at that way-too-overpriced retail store.
A couple of tips for resale events:
- Although you may bring your children (unless posted), I find it difficult to shop with them underfoot. With tables and tables of toys, it’s next to impossible to have them try on a raincoat. I sometimes bring them along to pick out one toy and then have my husband whisk them away so I can power shop.
- Before you go, verify your kids’ clothing sizes…including shoe size. A trick I learned: trace your child’s foot on paper and cut around the shape. Bring the cutout with you. Slip it inside shoes to see if the shoes will fit.
- Bring a list of items to look for: that game you don’t want to buy at full price, dress shoes, snow pants, a rain jacket, etc. Some events are pretty crowded and it’s easier if you have a game plan beforehand.
Fall Resale Events in Lake County
Please note that events are listed chronologically. Each event has its own rules and many only take cash or charge admission. Please be sure to look at each specific event’s criteria before heading out.
Here is a list of items found at most of these sales:
- clothing (sizes infant – teen)
- maternity clothing
- dress clothing (holiday dresses, suits, dress shirts)
- toys (dollhouses, ride-on toys, American Girl dolls, action figures)
- indoor playsets (play kitchens, puppet theaters, and Lego tables)
- video games, DVDs, CDs
- shoes (dress shoes, sandals, sneakers, slippers)
- winter wear (jackets, snow pants, boots)
- baby equipment (strollers, diaper bags, breast pumps, pack-n-plays, high chairs)
- furniture (toddler beds, children’s dressers)
- outdoor toys (wagons, ride-on toys, toddler picnic tables)
- sports equipment (gloves, bats, baseball pants, helmets, hockey skates)
- dance clothing (leotards, tutus, ballet slippers, tap shoes)
- books (board books, picture books, chapter books, novels, parenting books)
Note: Most, if not all, events will not have cribs or car seats for sale.
Rhea Lana’s Lake and Cook Sale
207711 North Rand Rd., Kildeer
23 August, 11:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
24,25, & 26 August, 10:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
28 August, 10:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. half-price day
29 August, 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. half-price day
Rhea Lana’ is a week-long upscale resale event. Featuring a cozy boutique environment. They accept cash and credit with no minimum purchase or convenience fees. Early shopping days available with a paid ticket, see website for details.
Posh Kids Fall/Winter Sale
268 E. Golf Rd., Arlington Heights
11 September, 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
12 September, 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
13 September, 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. (many items half off)
Looking for name brand clothing? They only sell those in-demand brands at this sale. They will accept cash, credit card, and Paypal. No admission fee.
Growing Cents of Style
Canlan Sportsplex, 28156 W. Northpointe Pkwy., Lake Barrington
26 September, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
27 September, 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
This sale has name brand clothing only. They will also have vendors. Bring your own bags (those large Ikea bags work nicely). Strollers are not allowed. No admission fee. Credit cards or cash accepted (no checks).
Lake County Mothers of Twins Club Resale Event
Round Lake Beach Cultural & Civic Center, 2007 Civic Center Way, Round Lake Beach
10 October, 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m., $2 cash admission.
Strollers are not allowed inside the resale. Credit cards and cash accepted (expect to pay a small fee if using a credit card). If you are interested in being a seller, email [email protected].
And if you’re trying to clean out your own supply of endless clothing, books, and shoes, all of the resale/consignment stores and many of the events accept new consignors. Go to their websites to find out more.
Did we miss your favorite resale/consignment shop or sale? Tell us in the comments!