All summer long the Grayslake Park District is sponsoring fun hours in the park. This one hour events include a character visit, bubbles or a craft and a stories.
We went to the first one held at Alleghany Park on June 22 with Elmo. My eldest (7 years old) was not interested at all but both my 5 year old and my 16 month old had a great time.
The parks provide a larger area then the Farmers Market for character visits so it doesn’t feel as crowded and younger children who may be shy can take the time and space they need to approach the character. It also allows for them to do the activities without being right next to the character.
The event lasts one hour and there was plenty of time to interact with the character as well as play with the bubbles. It was most crowded right at the beginning and then it thinned out and got crowded again closer towards the end..
There are five more Fun Times in the Park left, including one today:
- Monday July 2 – Big Bird, Central Park (near the spray park)
- Friday July 13 – Clifford, Meadowview Park
- Monday July 23 – Tigger, Jones Island Park
- Monday August 6 – Pooh Bear, Millcreek Park
- Friday August 24 – Abby Cadabby, Jaycee Park