The holiday seasons offers lots of opportunities to volunteer as a family or teach our children about our blessings by giving back through various organizations and charities. We’ve rounded up some great opportunities for you and your family to give back this month:
Help spread warmth throughout Lake County this season by donating to one of these collections:
- Fox Lake Library Mitten Tree- The libraries tree will be collecting new and handmade mittens, gloves, scarves and hats through December 27. Items donated will be taken to the Grant Township Food Pantry for distribution.
- Ela Area Public Library Mitten Tree – Place new hats, mittens/gloves and scarves on the Library’s Mitten Tree located in the lobby. All donations benefit local agencies in need. Through January 3.
Share the gift of a full belly by donating to one of these food drives:
- Give the gift that makes you feel good. Make a gift of canned food and new books to less fortunate members of our community. Your donations will be collected at Cook Park Library, Aspen Drive Library and the Bookmobile. through December 18
- Ela Area Public Library Food for Fines – donations of non-perishable boxed or canned food, paper goods and cleaning supplies can be donated in lieu of fines accrued on most items through December 30. Items should be brought to the desk. See the flyer for details and donation suggestions.
Grayslake Historical Society & Museum Giving Trees
Local non-profits and community organizations have shared their messages by decorating a tree at the museum. The public is encouraged to vote for their favorites with their dollars through the end of December. contact Dave Oberg at [email protected] or 847-543-1745 for more information.
Toys for Tots is a great way to get kids involved in giving back as most kids can’t fathom the idea of someone having no toys. Here are just a few of the many collection locations you can drop a new, unwrapped toy at:
- Lobby of the Grayslake Area Library
- CLC, Grayslake. There are three drop-off boxes located at the library, information desk in the main lobby and the PE center (building 7)
- Toys R Us has teamed up with the Marines, and Shaquille O’Neal to provide gifts to children who would otherwise not have a present to open. There are many ways parent and kids can join Shaq and Toys R Us in making the kids wishes come true. You can donate money, toys or more. See the website for more ways to be involved.
- Vernon Hills Police department will be collecting toys through December 16. The Police Department recommends remembering older kids in your gifting by dropping off items such as sports equipment/bags/balls, books, backpacks, cosmetics, purses, bath gift sets, board games, hand-held electronics, skateboards/helmets, and small hair care appliances such as curling irons, hair dryers and straighteners Drop off items at the Police Station 24 hours a day or at the Vernon Hills Village Hall and Public Works facility during open hours. Call Vernon Hills Police Department crime prevention unit at 847-247-4889
You can also help children in need by supporting Shop with a Cop.
2013 Spirit of Giving Food Drive and Film Screening
Saturday December 14 10 am Golden Age Cinemas Liberty 1 & 2 Theaters
This year they will present Will Farrell’s timeless holiday classic “Elf” Admission to this special screening is a donation of one canned food item. All items collected will be donated to Libertyville food pantry to help less fortunate families in our communities. Contact the theater at (847) 918-7464 for more information.
How are you and your family giving back this season?