Are you in need of a gift for Grandma from your little ones? Not in the mood to get out the glitter at home? There are lots of places to go to make handmade holiday gifts with kids or to just to enjoy making a craft without making a mess at home. In addition, some places offer a Kids’ Night Out to allow you to holiday shop at the same time. Note: for ceramic projects, you will have to return to pick up your project at a later date.
Editor’s Note: Updated to reflect take and go options for 2020.
Ceramics for You
6695-D Grand Ave., Gurnee | (847) 855-2022
A ceramics studio for all ages with drop-in hours. They offer several different Pottery to Go kits that include everything you need to paint your own item at home. When you are finished you drop the item and brushes back at the shop for firing. Limited quantities of holiday items so order ASAP.
532 W. Route 22, Lake Zurich | (847) 540-7772
Clay Monet also has ceramic figurines that can be painted, even by little ones. They have a wide assortment to choose from: piggy banks, pet bowls, and mugs to name a few. They are offering private times to paint in the studio or pottery to go kits. They offer options to have your item come back and be fired or to keep without firing.
Daisy’s Artish Cafe
216 N. Milwaukee Ave., Ste 1, Lake Villa | (224) 372-7341
A coffee house and art studio… sounds like the place to take kids for a fun time while you relax and enjoy a cup of Joe. The cafe offers craft projects for both young and older artists. Check the website for holiday-themed classes. At this time there are no children’s events as the indoor space is not open.
Taste Buds Kitchen
2521 Waukegan Rd., Bannockburn | 847-230-0330
Taste Buds Kitchen has classes for young chefs as well as offers family bonding time. There are Gingerbread House workshops for the whole family (as well as ones for teens) throughout December. This year they are offering DIY Gingerbread house kit that comes with a fully assembled house and everything you need to decorate it at home.
Some libraries offer take-home craft kits that you can pick-up for some festive crafting at home:
- November 30 – December 5 Grab n Go Snowflake Craft – Fox Lake District Library, while supplies last
- November 30 – December 6 Take and Make: Stained Glass Tree Wauconda Area Public Library, while supplies last
- December 1 Grab and Go Teen Craft, Round Lake Area Public Library, while supplies last
- December 1-23 Crafts to Go: Holiday Cards & Tags Grayslake Area Library, while supplies last.
- December 1-31 Grab & Go Craft Kits Lake Bluff Library, while supplies last.
- December 1-31 Take and Make Crafts, Lake Forest Library, while supplies last
- December 5 Family Maker at Home: Finger Knitting Cook Memorial Public Library District, registration required
- December 7 Nordic Gnome Ornament, grades 3-6, Zion Benton Public Library, registration required
- December 7-18 Make and Takes – Barrington Area Library, registration required. They are offering age-based boxes for families, Grades 3-8, Grades K-2, and toddlers.
- December 7-18 Ornament Kits – Fox Lake District Library, choose from three designs, registration required
- December 7 – 13 Take and Make: Paper plate Wreath Wauconda Area Public Library, while supplies last
- December 8 Cocoa Club – Fremont Public Library, registration required
- December 10 Make your Own Holiday Bath Bomb – Antioch Public Library, registration required
- December 11 Gingerbread House Workshop – Cook Memorial District Library, registration required
- December 12 Crafts to Go: Winter Fairy House – Cook Memorial District Public Library, registration required
- December 14 Wooden Reindeer Ornament, grades 3-6, Zion Benton Public Library, registration required
- December 14 Try Your Hand: Holiday Cookies – Antioch Public Library, registration required
- December 14 Take and Make Gingerbread House grades 3-12, Warren Newport Public Library, while supplies last
- December 14 – 19 Grab and Go Crafts All Ages & Teens – Deerfield Public Library. Available during library hours while supplies last.
- December 14 – 20 Grab and Go Winter Craft Highland Park Public Library, while supplies last.
- December 14 – 20 Take and Make Holiday Cards Wauconda Area Public Library, while supplies last
- December 15 Family Ornaments Lake Villa District Library, registration required
- December 21 Take and Make Craft grades K-5, Warren Newport Public Library, while supplies last
- December 21-27 Take and Make Holiday Ornaments Wauconda Area Public Library, while supplies last
Do you know of a great place where kids can create handmade gifts? Tell us where it is in the comments section below.
Find more Christmas events and activities at Christmas in Lake County.
Michael’s does craft times for Kids every weekend too!
Thanks for sharing Christy. Here is a link for Michaels Stores’ classes: https://classes.michaels.com/OnlineClasses/control/main?firstVisit=firstVisit#