Heather loves to get in the kitchen with her kids and she wants you in the kitchen with your kids too! Kids in the Kitchen with Girl in the Kitchen shares tips, recipes, and ideas to get you and your kids cooking together.
I am that person that gets ridiculously excited about every holiday. Really, really excited. As soon as one holiday ends, I am packing away my stuff and unpacking for the next holiday. When March 1st magically appeared on my calendar (where was the weather to go with it?) I immediately started with St. Patrick’s day things. My kids know me so well that when I came home from the grocery store with spinach tortillas (green) my oldest daughter wondered aloud if those had something to do with St. Patrick’s Day. “They do!” I told her, probably more excitedly than a nine-year-old has patience for since she left the room quickly after that.
Well, my kids can’t stay away for long. Although they will not always admit it, they get just as excited as me about these holidays. As soon as I turned on my festive Irish music (kidding!) the kids were down the stairs ready to help. Okay, okay, I called them down, because who doesn’t want to make fun green food for St. Patrick’s day? Anyone? Anyone?
These Shamrock chips were so easy and fun, and the kids could not believe that they “turned into” crunchy delicious chips. The taco dip was an added bonus, but be creative with that. Go for a green guacamole to keep the color consistent, or give this delicious Carmelized Onion Yogurt Dip a try. The cutting of the tortillas can be a little tricky, but the “painting” with olive oil and salt sprinkling is perfect for the kids to get involved and help make these! They are super easy, don’t require a ton of time or ingredients, and your kids are guaranteed to love them!
SHAMROCK CHIP RECIPE
- 1 pkg. Spinach Tortillas, Burrito Size
- Olive Oil/Canola Oil/Melted Coconut oil-whatever you prefer
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Using a medium-sized shamrock cookie cutter with a sharp cookie cutter edge, cut your tortillas into shamrock shapes trying to get as many as possible out of one tortilla.
- Repeat until all tortillas are cut.
- With remaining tortilla scraps, use a pizza cutter to cut triangle shapes out.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange shamrocks and triangles on the sheet so they are evenly spaced out and not touching.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly brush both sides of shamrocks with oil and place back on the cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle liberally with salt.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes until crispy and very lightly browned.
- Let cool on parchment for 1 minute.
- Remove and place on a plate lined with paper towels to cool. Repeat the process until all chips are baked.
- Serve with easy taco dip (recipe below) or your favorite dip. Enjoy!
EASY TACO DIP RECIPE
- 1 16 oz. container sour cream
- 1 packet Taco Seasoning mix
- Combine sour cream and taco seasoning.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite chips or veggies.
Looking for some more fun St. Patrick’s Day ideas? Check out Girl and Her Kitchen to find more!