Heather loves to get in the kitchen with her kids, and she wants you in the kitchen with your kids too! Kids in the Kitchen with Girl in the Kitchen shares tips, recipes, and ideas to get you and your kids cooking together.
As the weather turns colder, I usually turn to comfort food to feed my family. Sure, we all love the classic, indulgent comfort food once in a while, but comfort food doesn’t always have to be that way. A favorite around here when the air has a bite in it is soup. I have so many different soup recipes to choose from, and my kids love them all. We try creamy soups, hearty soups, stews, and of course classics, like chicken noodle. A hot bowl of soup for dinner not only warms the body, but it warms the spirit. Adding fresh ingredients, getting the kids to help out with chopping and adding vegetables, and putting in a few special touches is sure to bring a bowl of goodness to the table.
Beef and Potato Soup Recipe
One of our favorites is this delicious Beef and Potato Soup. We like to serve it with some crusty bread and butter and a tossed green salad. Dinner is quick and easy and perfect for a cold night.
Beef and Potato Soup
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 large russet potatoes, cubed
- 4 cups beef stock or broth
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper2 tbsp fresh parsley or 1 tbsp dried
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef until cooked through. Drain, and set aside.
- In a dutch oven heat olive oil. Add onion and cook 8-10 minutes until golden and fragrant. Add potatoes and stir, cooking for one more minute. Add beef broth, vinegar, salt, pepper, and parsley.
- Add in cooked ground beef. Stir until combined and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 30 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Serve immediately.
Interested in more delicious soup recipes to bring you through the winter? Try out this delicious Roasted Tomato Soup or my Classic Minestrone Soup. Another favorite is Stuffed Pepper Soup and for a hearty meal in a bowl, this Tuscan Soup is sure to become a family favorite. For bread and salads to pair with these soups, check out all the delicious recipes on Girl and Her Kitchen.
By: Heather Williams
Heather is a busy mom of three who loves exploring Lake County with her kids. When she, her husband, and kids are not embarking on new adventures, you will most likely find her cooking and posting some great family-friendly recipes at Girl and Her Kitchen.
Leave a Reply