Heather loves to get in the kitchen with her kids and she wants you in the kitchen with your kids too! Kids in the Kitchen with Girl in the Kitchen shares tips, recipes, and ideas to get you and your kids cooking together.
Chocolate Covered Frozen Banana Recipe
This is one of those recipes, that can really hardly be called a recipe. There is no mixing, no real cooking, no complicated ingredients…so in other words…PERFECT for summer!
Our sweet tooth does not go away in the summer, but our desire to turn on a stove or oven certainly does. These “lollipops” are easy and tasty, and can I dare say, good for you?
Well, for the most part, that is true. Depends on how crazy you get with the sprinkles.
This summer has been very unpredictable weather-wise, but since today it is about a thousand degrees outside, I figured it would be the perfect day to get these ready. Luckily, I had frozen some bananas yesterday, so we were ready to go!
This is a great summer treat for the kids and the grown-ups too! It is a wonderful way to satisfy your sweet tooth, cool off, and get a somewhat healthy snack in, all at the same time!
You just cannot go wrong with these! Did I mention that this “recipe” is so easy, the kids can pretty much do it themselves?
Chocolate Covered Frozen Banana “Lollipops”
- 4 bananas, ends cut off, sliced about 3/4 inch thick
- Wooden skewers
- 2 cups dark (or milk) chocolate chips
- sprinkles, nuts, dried fruit, shredded coconut-optional
- Prepare a large 9×13 baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
- After slicing bananas, skewer about 4-5 slices laying flat on the skewer (if you have little ones, make sure you do not use pointed skewers and you may only want to put 2-3 slices on each stick).
- Lay flat on the prepared baking sheet. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and freeze for four hours, or overnight.
- Over a double boiler or in the microwave, melt chocolate until smooth and creamy.
- Remove bananas from the freezer and uncover. Drizzle chocolate over banana skewers or dip it into melted chocolate.
- Sprinkle with desired toppings immediately.
- Chocolate should harden relatively quickly since the bananas are so cold, but if it doesn’t, place the tray back into the freezer for 10 minutes or until chocolate is set.
Enjoy right away, or keep in the freezer for a great summer snack!
By: Heather Williams
Heather is a busy mom of three who loves exploring Lake County with her kids. When she, her husband, and kids are not embarking on new adventures, you will most likely find her cooking and posting some great family-friendly recipes at Girl and Her Kitchen.