Heather loves to get in the kitchen with her kids, and she wants you in the kitchen with your kids too! Kids in the Kitchen with Girl in the Kitchen shares tips, recipes, and ideas to get you and your kids cooking together.
I am sure you have already judged this recipe by the title: Pumpkin Cheesecake French Toast Roll-Ups
I can just see it now. You are probably thinking one or more of the following:
- I absolutely do not have time to make something like this in the morning.
- Who serves their children cheesecake for breakfast?
- I cannot follow these super complicated recipes that are all over the internet.
Well, good news. I am here to prove you wrong! I am about to share a relatively QUICK, SIMPLE, and
HEALTHY, SOMEWHAT HEALTHY, DELICIOUS recipe! (Okay, so you got me on serving the kids cheesecake in the morning! Pumpkin is healthy, so that counts for something!). The kids love anything that you can call a “roll-up,” so pretty much you can’t go wrong with this. If it is not doable for breakfast, try it for a creative fall dessert!
When I made this one morning for my kids, they helped out a lot. It is always more fun for the kids that way, but if you are tight on time in the morning (like most of us are), this is an easy recipe to throw together all at once or in stages if you like to prep ahead. You can mix the cheesecake filling, egg mixture, and cinnamon sugar the night before, so all you have to do in the morning is assemble!
The kids were intrigued and then proclaimed that breakfast tasted like dessert. Well, that was a success! The best part? You can put in a hidden healthy ingredient like whole-grain bread into this recipe, too, so you don’t have to feel too guilty! Besides that, it is pumpkin season! If you are a dedicated pumpkin lover like me, who needs an excuse to make Pumpkin Cheesecake French Toast in the morning?
Not a pumpkin fan? Feel free to sub the pumpkin cheesecake with Nutella, chocolate chips, raspberry jam, or lemon curd. Try a few different variations, and let us know which one you like best!
Pumpkin Cheesecake French Toast Roll-Ups Recipe
Pumpkin Cheesecake Filling ingredients:
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1 – 8 oz block of cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
French Toast ingredients:
- 8 slices of your favorite bread (we used whole grain Ezekial bread), microwaved for 20 seconds to soften
- 1 tbsp butter
Egg Mixture ingredients:
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla
Cinnamon Mixture ingredients:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
Maple Syrup and whipped cream optional, for serving.
- Preheat a griddle if you are using one.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out bread as flat as possible before it tears. Set aside.
- Mix together cheesecake ingredients using a hand mixer on medium speed.
- Combine egg, milk, and vanilla, and whisk well.
- Spread each slice of bread with a generous slather of pumpkin cheesecake. Roll up tightly. Press to seal the ends.
- Dip in the egg mixture making sure it is covered.
- Place the tablespoon of butter on the griddle until it melts.
- Place prepared roll-ups on the griddle. Let cook a few minutes on each side, rolling to another side as one side browns.
- While it is cooking, mix together sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- When all sides are golden brown, remove carefully. Sprinkle generously with cinnamon sugar.
- Serve with syrup or whipped cream. Enjoy!
What’s your favorite indulgent breakfast?
By: Heather Williams
Heather is a busy mom of three who loves exploring Lake County with her kids. When she, her husband, and kids are not embarking on new adventures, you will most likely find her cooking and posting some great family-friendly recipes at Girl and Her Kitchen.