The 2019 Lake County responding to Hunger Touch-a-Truck event will be one of the stops on our 6th Annual Playground Tour!
Despite its size, Lake County has always felt more like a small town to me, and one thing small towns do well is support each other. Lake County Responding to Hunger does just that by helping the hungry in our communities at quite possibly the best touch-a-truck event in our region.
This touch-a-truck event is organized by the Lake Branch of the American Public Works Association Chicago Metro Chapter – which means lots of big trucks. Public works agencies from all over the county will be bringing out the big trucks for your children to climb, view, and learn about, all in exchange for a non-perishable food item.
Last year featured over 40 large vehicles and this year will have over 50! My truck-loving kid could not get enough! In addition to the usual suspects (police, fire, ambulance) we saw cherry pickers, plows, construction trucks and more!
This event is held in the Lake County Fairgrounds parking lot and last year had 4 rows of vehicles to walk through. It is hot as there is no shade so come early! It was at times loud with horns and such so if your child is sensitive to sound prepare for that. There were even drones flying around at last years event!
Groups that have committed to being at the event as of publishing:
- APWA (American Public Works Association) – Lake Branch – Sponsor
- Lake County Sheriff’s Office – Sponsor
- Lake County Division of Transportation – Sponsor
- Lake County Public Works Department – Sponsor
- Lake County Fairgrounds Association – Sponsor
- Lake County Coroner’s Office – Sponsor
- Illinois State Police SWAT Armored Truck & K9 Unit
- NCIS (Naval Criminal Investigation Service) Great Lakes
- Lake Zurich Police Department
- Lake Zurich Fire Department
- Waukegan Fire Department
- Lake County Marine Corps League
- Antioch Township Highway Department
- City of Highland Park
- City of North Chicago
- City of Waukegan
- Cuba Township Road Department
- Ela Township Highway Department
- Village of Antioch
- Village of Barrington
- Village of Beach Park
- Village of Buffalo Grove
- Village of Deerfield
- Village of Fox Lake
- Fox Waterways Agency
- Village of Grayslake
- Village of Gurnee
- Village of Hawthorn Woods
- Village of Lakemoor
- Village of Lake Barrington
- Village of Lake Villa
- Village of Lake Zurich
- Village of Libertyville
- Village of Lincolnshire
- Village of Lindenhurst
- Village of Long Grove
- Village of Mundelein
- Village of Round Lake
- Village of Round Lake Park
- Village of Vernon Hills
- Village of Wauconda
- Village of Winthrop Harbor
- Warren Township Highway Department
Of course, as part of our playground tour, there will also be lots of fun activities from Little Lake County and our partners. Watch for our announcement and ticketing (saving you time on the entrance) coming in the next few weeks.
While you are shopping this week, pick up an extra bag of non-perishable grocery items for the hungry in Lake County. We have a list of the most needed items. Then come out and join us at the fairgrounds, it’s sure to be a great event!
Lake County responding to Hunger Touch-a-Truck
Tuesday, July 23, 2019
8:00 a.m. -12:00 p.m.
Lake County Fairgrounds, 1060 E. Peterson Rd., Grayslake, IL
Hope to see you there!