Among all the writers and editors Little Lake County has over fifty children! So to say we’ve got a little but of experience is an understatement. LLC Loves shares the things and products that we’ve used, and loved!
Step into any baby store, and you will be completely overwhelmed by the amount of products available. But have no fear–we’ve compiled a list of our writers’ favorite baby gear and our favorite products to purchase for baby showers.
- Aden and Anais Muslin Blankets. These are the softest, best sized and most versatile baby blankets to grab. They can be used as swaddle blankets, burp cloths, nursing covers and stroller blankets because they are so light. These blankets last wash after wash, and come out only softer and better! For summer babies, they are light enough to swaddle or to cover your baby to keep the sun off of their precious skin.
- Newborn Rock ‘n Play Sleeper. Forget the bassinet or Moses basket–all you need for the first four to six months is the most amazing Rock ‘n Play Sleeper. It cradles your baby, holds them at an incline (great for those struggling with gas and reflux) and is portable. I still attribute my easy, early sleepers to the use of the Rock ‘n Play and was thrilled to see other moms from Little Lake County loving this item, too!
- Velcro Swaddles. If you have a winter hospital birth, you may be lucky enough to be sent home with a velcro swaddle. These hold young babies better than a traditional blanket wrapped to swaddle and stay low enough around their shoulders giving you peace of mind as they sleep.
- White Noise Machine. Most people (adults included) sleep better with white noise in the background. Babies are no different, and more often than not, other noises will disrupt a sleeping baby. These simple machines allow for more activity when baby sleeps, and most are portable for travel!
- Ergobaby Carrier. A truly comfortable baby carrier that can be used from the newborn through toddler stage. The Ergobaby is easy to use with two clips and most people can take it on and off without help from another person. It allows you to be hands-free while keeping baby close. (This is how most of my peers grocery shop with young babies!)
- Chicco Hiking Backpack. For the active family, this is a must-have item! A quality hiking carrier allows your baby to tag along on all of your adventures with the best view available.
- Sakura Bloom Ring Sling. A ring sling is easy to get in and out of and can be worn on the back, hip, or front. They are comfortable, cute and functional. Ring slings are easily washed at home which makes them a fantastic option to use. If you would like to breastfeed in your carrier, these allow you a comfortable and discrete option.
- Podster Lounger (Bummzie). For the typical baby who likes being held, the Podster/Bummzie may just be what you need! Although babies cannot sleep in this or be left unattended, the sling and cozy pillow comfort babies to feel that they are held. The angle is just right for digestion and those struggling with reflux. Read and introduce new toys to your baby while they lounge back in their Podster!
- Owl Babies by Martin Waddell. This sweet board book tells the tale of three baby owls who wake up to find that their mother has left. They wait on a branch for her to return and joyfully welcome her back home. This is a bedtime story to read over and over again to your little one.
- Sophie the Giraffe. Sophie is a well-loved French toy that is loved by all little ones. The squeak intrigues young babies, the soft rubber soothes teething gums, and it is made with child safety in mind with food grade paint. This toy is so easy for babies to grab and enjoy playing with that they reach for it again and again!
- Wubbanub Pacifier. Pacifiers are one of the most often used soothing strategies for parents, but when our little ones cannot manipulate a pacifier on their own, it can be pretty frustrating–cue the Wubbanub! A small plush toy sewn to a popular pacifier allows babies independence in finding their pacifier and having their sweet lovie close by always.
- Boon Drying Rack. Having a place to air dry baby products is essential as they will easily clutter your sink and counter tops. The Boon Grass or Lawn drying racks are easy to use, functional and well-designed with add-ons to help you build the perfect drying space for your needs. Boon Grass may or may not be helpful with adult beverage containers as well.
- Boppy Feeding Pillow. Most moms register for a Boppy regardless of their feeding preferences, it has become a staple in most new-baby homes as an infant lounger, tummy time aid and to lift a baby for optimal breastfeeding positioning. With fun cover options and the versatility of the product, our writers think this is a must-have option.
- Microwave Sterilizer. A microwave sterilizer takes the guess-work out of boiling bottles and pacifiers while cutting down on cleaning time for busy parents.
For New Parents
- Gift Certificates for Mom (haircut, massage). Often as a mom prepares to welcome a new baby, she may forget to give time to self-care. Lake County is full of salons and spas just waiting to pamper the new mom-to-be.
- Masculine Diaper Bag for Dad. Most new dads prefer to carry a bag that isn’t covered in a floral pattern or damask print. A masculine diaper bag for the dad-on-the-go can really help him feel included and valued in the new baby process that seems so mom-focused.
- Something Special for Mom. It is really sweet to receive something just for you, as the new mom-to-be. Perhaps a bottle of lotion, body wash, or chocolates? Perhaps one of Heidi’s Artisan Soap & Sudsy Boxes may be what you’re looking for or check out our Sweet Shops post to find something simply perfect to treat the new mom.
Do you agree? What is your “must have” baby item or what do you choose to buy for baby showers? Tell us in the comments!
Disclosure: Some links provided in this story are affiliate links. A small percentage of purchases made through those links are earned and used to cover the expense of running the site. Thank you for clicking!