Thank you to St. John Lutheran School in Libertyville for sponsoring this story and providing us with the information and resources needed to share this information with you.
April 15 is Tax Day, and if you dread it every year, we have some information that might make you more excited to see April 15, 2020. Read on to learn more about the Invest in Kids
Tax Credit Scholarship Program.
Invest in Kids
Tax Credit Scholarship Program
In 2017 Illinois enacted the Invest in Kids Tax Credit Scholarship Program. Through this program, individuals and businesses that contribute to a qualified Scholarship Granting Organization (SGOs) will receive a 75% income tax credit. These independent SGOs then provide scholarships to students whose families meet the income requirements to attend qualified, non-public schools in Illinois.
Individuals may direct their donations to a specific school or schools of their choice. Donors do not have to pick a school or can pick more than one school. The gift is an investment in the education of children, so if you have a heart for a particular model (Montessori or Faith-Based) or a specific area, you can choose schools to donate to based solely on that. The donor will receive a 75% credit on their donation. For example, if you donate $1000 to the school of your choice, you will receive a $750 state tax credit. These are for individual donors. Business donors have slightly different regulations.
Student eligibility to receive a scholarship is determined based on family income. Students in K-12 from families with limited financial resources, up to 300 percent of the federal poverty level, are eligible to receive a tax credit scholarship.
Students interested in receiving the scholarship must complete an application on the Invest in Kids website by mid-January for the following school year. So while it’s too late to get a scholarship this year, it’s not too late to save on taxes!
Some links to help you learn more about the Invest in Kids Tax Credit Scholarship Program:
- See if your children qualify for a scholarship.
- For more information on the Invest in Kids Act.
- See a full list of schools as of September 11, 2018.
Lake County Schools that partcipate:
(in no particular order)
- St. Gilbert – Grayslake
- Westlake Christian Academy – Grayslake
- St. Joseph – Round Lake
- St. John Lutheran School – Libertyville
- St. Joseph – Libertyville
- Frassati Catholic Academy – Wauconda
- Transfiguration – Wauconda
- Prince of Peace – Lake Villa
- Faith Evangelical Lutheran – Antioch
- Most Blessed Trinity – Waukegan
- Christo Rey St. Martin – Waukegan
- Shelia Daniels Christian Academy – Waukegan
- St. Anastasia – Waukegan
- Our Saviors Ev Lutheran School – Zion
- St Matthew Lutheran School – Lake Zurich
- St Francis De Sales – Lake Zurich
- St. Mary – Buffalo Grove
- Torah Academy – Buffalo Grove
- Hellenic American Academy – Deerfield
- St. Patrick – Wadsworth
- Our Lady of Humility – Beach Park
- St. Anne – Barrington
- Lake Forest Academy – Lake Forest
- East Lake Academy – Lake Forest
- Montessori School of Lake Forest – Lake Forest
- Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart – Lake Forest
Links provided for schools in our guide to Lake County Preschools. Please note that is not an endorsement of any particular school or program but to give the community more information about options available.
Have you heard of or participated in the Invest in Kids program?
St. John Lutheran School teaches and nurtures children through Christian education in a family-friendly environment. The create intellectual curiosity in a safe environment through a smaller classroom setting that allows every child to excel. St. John offers 3-year-old preschool through 8th grade with before- and extended after-school care, as well as summer care, programs are also available.
St. John Lutheran School has been serving Libertyville and the surrounding areas as a preschool through 8th-grade school for over 40 years. We are nationally accredited by the WELSSA and the NCPSA and are also certified by the U.S. Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) to host international students.
Disclosure St. John School is a paid advertising partner with Little Lake County. If you would like to partner with us please contact our sales team.