Last year, I dubbed this time of year “Stir-Crazy Sibling Week.” It’s what I call that limbo period when your big kids have gone back to school but your little one is waiting for preschool to start. Your little ones, accustomed to having older siblings around to entertain them, now have their sights set on you. At one time you looked forward to having this one-on-one time with your younger child; but, now that you’re halfway through you’re running out of ideas and running low on glue sticks and patience.
Here’s a quick round-up of low-cost/no-cost preschooler-friendly activities around town to help you survive “Stir-Crazy Sibling Week.”
These toddler-approved playgrounds across Lake County are perfect for toddlers and preschoolers. With school back in session they should all be relatively quiet. Opt for our selections that have shade given this week’s warmer temperatures.
Baby, it’s HOT outside! Many of our area’s outdoor pools have already closed for the summer, but there are still splash pads and spray parks open to help you keep cool. They are also perfect for little ones, and you don’t have to get wet! Here is what is still open:
- Antioch Aqua Center is open only weekends until Labor Day.
- The Grayslake Park District Splash Pad is still open this week through Labor Day. Read former writer, Kristy’s review.
- The Buffalo Grove Park District Spray ‘N Play is open through August 31st, weather permitting.
- Deerfield Deerspring SprayGround is open Saturdays only through Labor Day.
- Hidden Creek Aquapark is open evenings and weekends through Labor Day.
- The Village of Lake Barrington Countryside Park District Spray Park will be open daily through Labor Day Weekend.
- Mundelein Park & Recreation District Spray Park is open through Labor Day (not to be confused with Barefoot Bay which is only open weekends through Labor Day.) Read Melissa’s review.
- Round Lake Area Park District Splash Pad only (pool closed) is open daily through September 7th. Read former writer, Dawn’s review.
- Waukegan Park District–Bowen Park Splash Pad is open through Labor Day.
If it’s just too hot to be outside, Holly curated this collection of Lake County Area Museums you may enjoy.
Artsy Tots at Artist @ Heart in Libertyville is a favorite of Melissa and her toddlers. Kids age one through four will discover ways to create art using watercolor, finger painting, clay, gel sticks, paint, collage and more! Artsy Tots happens on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:30 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. for only $5/class.
Don’t forget to check our website calendar, the most comprehensive event listing of family-friendly activities in Lake County! You can filter by category to find exactly what you’re looking for. We highly recommend checking out a library storytime near you.
Head over to Tot Playtime at Pinstripes in South Barrington or Northbrook every Monday-Friday from 10 a.m.-12 noon. Kids bowl for $3 per child/game, with a $4 shoe rental. Parents bowl free! (Limit four children per adult.) Our Editor-in-Chief, Melissa has enjoyed it for years while I just adore the food!
You can also see all of our past reviews from the drop-down menu on our home page under “Places We’ve Been.” We’ve got reviews on indoor play places, farms, and everything in between that will win over young hearts and minds while saving yours.
Is there anything I missed? Probably, I’m exhausted. Help a mom out and share your suggestions below. Sharing is caring.