Macaroni and cheese has remained a staple in the repertoire of American comfort food for decades. It is no mystery why there there is a national day held in its honor. That’s right, Thursday, July 14, 2016 is National Macaroni and Cheese Day, and Little Lake County wants to make sure that you are prepared. Whether you prefer your dish most like the “blue box” of your childhood, or you crave a noodle nouveau, we have a selection of recommended restaurants that will whet your appetite for cheesy macaroni. And just in the nick of time.
Noodles & Company
Noodles & Company is a major player in the macaroni and cheese game and prepares a Wisconsin Mac & Cheese that hits a home run every time with many families. And, in celebration of National Macaroni and Cheese Day, Noodles & Company with treat you with a FREE small Wisconsin Mac & Cheese when you purchase any regular entree.
- 1209 W Dundee Rd., Buffalo Grove | (847) 483-9925
- 110 S Waukegan Rd., Deerfield | (847) 559-9172
- Deer Park Town Center | 20530 N. Rand Rd. #5, Deer Park | (847) 726-1000
- 303 Waukegan Rd., Lake Bluff | (847) 482-1680
- 900 Milwaukee Ave., Lincolnshire | (847) 793-0514
- 6681 Grand Ave., Gurnee | (847) 406-5488
- 794 Skokie Blvd, Northbrook | (847) 272-5211
- 700 N. Milwaukee Ave. | Vernon Hills | (847) 816-3910
The Calzone & Macaroni Company
260 Hawthorn Village Commons, Vernon Hills | (847) 996-0205
Locally-owned, The Calzone & Macaroni Company dishes up thirteen flavors of macaroni and cheese, including a lobster-laced variety. This restaurant was previously mentioned in Indie Eats: Where to Eat in Vernon Hills, and features red brick oven cooking that is sure to please your palate.
547 Milwaukee Ave., Libertyville | (847) 549-3152
Chili U serves three versions of macaroni and cheese: Chili U Mac N’ Cheese, which includes three cheeses, spiced bacon, sweet potato and chives; Lobster Mac N’ Cheese, with Maine lobster, brie and pancetta; and a kids’ version of American-style macaroni and cheese. While the macaroni and cheese is the star here, do not overlook what is most likely one of the most creatively decorated restrooms in Lake County.
34121 US-45, Third Lake | (847) 543-1234
At BBQ Productions, you might find yourself ordering a full entree just to get that side of Smoked Gouda Mac N’ Cheese. It’s delectable. Plan to order one to go, too.
While it may not be the first dish that comes to mind when you think of this restaurant, Panera’s Mac & Cheese is made with shell pasta and Vermont white cheddar cheese, setting it apart from the traditional cheddar varieties.
- 1228 West Dundee Rd., Buffalo Grove | (847) 398-8023
- 190 Waukegan Rd., Deerfield | (847) 236-1123
- Deer Park Town Center, 20530 Rand Rd., Deer Park | (847) 540-8425
- 6557 Grand Ave., Gurnee | (847) 856-1549
- 305 S. Waukegan Rd., Lake Bluff | (847) 604-8451
- 430 S. Rand Rd., Lake Zurich | (224) 662-2100
- 832 S. Milwaukee Ave., Libertyville | (847) 362-9840
- 2001 Milwaukee Ave., Riverwoods | (847) 229-8062
- 447 N. Milwaukee Ave., Vernon Hills | (847) 549-1332
250 Marriott Dr., Lincolnshire | (847) 883-0311
Loralie attended a demonstration on how to make Sullivan’s “World’s Best” macaroni and cheese; she tells you all about it in her review of Sullivan’s. It’s called Three Cheese Mac with garlic butter crust, and it’s really THAT good.
Sweet Lorraine’s Fabulous Mac n’ Cheez!
375 N. Milwaukee Ave #200, Vernon Hills | (847) 261-4143
A relatively new entry in macaroni-moving restaurants, this Michigan-based transplant serves up 15 different macaroni and cheese masterpieces, the most unusual being the Detroit Coney Dog Mac.
1200 Embers *Editors note- this restaurant is closed
1200 Main St., Antioch | (847) 603-2300
This mixed American grill produces a baked Mac & Cheese with a panko crust, which diners can embellish with BBQ chicken or beef. Sounds delicious, right? Read Jessica’s recent review of her experience at 1200 Embers and put this restaurant on your not-to-miss list.
Did we miss your favorite macaroni and cheese-making restaurant? Tell us where it is located in the comments section.