Ever notice how your kids are always seem to listen to other people better than you? Or how willing they are to help clean-up at library storytime because the teacher has a cute song but won’t help you pick up at home? People (and characters) that children see as special or different from mom and dad can have a big impact on children. When my son was a toddler he wouldn’t eat meat ever, except for one friend. Every Time we were at a playdate at her house she could get him to eat meatballs, chicken, anything she offered him he ate.
It may be annoying but you can use the power of catchy songs and interesting characters to celebrate milestones, teach lessons and even help children with transitions.
Younger children will enjoy these teaching episodes:
- New Sibling on the way? Watch Bebee’s Room on the Hive
- Losing a first tooth? Watch The Story of the Tooth Fairy on Super Why
- Child needs Glasses? Watch Arthur’s Through the Looking Glass episode
- Taking a child out trick-or0-treating for the first time tonight? Watch Julius Jr. Dressed for Spook-ecss
If you’re looking for a family movie night that will have some bigger lessons in check out these titles:
- Beethoven for lessons on first pets.
- The Croods for lessons on a first move
- D2: The Mighty Ducks for lessons from a first big game
- Akeeelah and the Spelling Bee for lessons from a first spelling bee
What shows have your children learned lessons from? Share them with us in the comments.
Disclosure: I am a member of the Netflix Stream Team. I received a streaming membership in return for my sharing what we’re watching with you.