Head out to The Morton Arboretum in Lisle through the end of August to enjoy a beautiful evening in the whimsical Children’s Garden. Thursday nights are Family Night during the summer at the arboretum, with live music, food for purchase, and after-hours entertainment. In celebration of Nature Connects®: Art with LEGO® bricks by Sean Kenney, there will be an inspiring and plentiful selection of LEGO® bricks for kids to build with, too.
The Children’s Garden features sprawling landscapes, playground, streams and ponds (splashing encouraged!), walking paths, climbing features, and tree houses to create endless opportunities for curiosity and discovery. The two main garden areas, Backyard Discovery Gardens and Adventure Woods, are joined by Central Plaza, which is the hub of Family Nights. There is much to see for kids outside The Children’s Garden, too–even a train ride! The arboretum is worth the trip anytime for families, but the Nature Connects® exhibit and Family Night makes this an outing you must squeeze in before school starts.
Remaining Family Nights for 2015 are August 6th, 13th, 20th, and 27th from 5:00-8:00 p.m. The park offers a discounted admission of $5 after 4:30 p.m. Regular admission is $14 for adults, $12 for seniors, $9 for kids, and kids 1 and under are free. Parking is always free, and the arboretum offers free, year-round admission to active-duty service men and women with a valid ID.
Tips for a great visit to The Morton Arboretum:
- Bring sunscreen and bug spray!
- Review the arboretum’s website to plan your visit–there are many special events scheduled for the summer and so much to see.
- Download The Morton Arboretum’s app on your iPhone, or stop in the Visitor’s Center to pick up a map to ensure you don’t miss a thing.
- Dress for outdoor play and wear comfortable shoes.
- Allow plenty of time to spend here, with little ones it may take a while to see the arboretum.
- The Children’s Garden has many water features including a small creek that kids can play in, bring a change of clothes!
Have you been to The Morton Arboretum? What are your favorite features?
Open 365 Days a year at 7 a.m. and closes around sunset
Visitor’s Center open May through October: Daily, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
(check website for seasonal changes to schedule)