A moving tribute to an important piece of American History is coming to Lake County in September. “The Moving Wall” is a half-size replica of the Washington, DC Vietnam Veterans Memorial and has been touring the country for over thirty years. Creator of The Moving Wall, John Devitt, attended the 1982 dedication of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, and he felt the positive power of “The Wall.” He wanted to share that experience with all Americans; to bring the lessons and honor of the memorial to those with out the opportunity to travel to Washington.
The Moving Wall was built by Vietnam Veteran volunteers. It first went on display in 1984, and two structures of The Moving Wall now travel the USA from April through November, spending about a week at each site. The Round Lake Area Chamber of Commerce is bringing The Moving Wall to Lake County September 3rd. The memorial will be on display until September 7th.
Moving Wall Itinerary in Round Lake:
- September 3: 8:45 a.m. – Escort Moving Wall from Comfort Inn Suites Grayslake (1775 E Belvidere Rd) to Home Depot Round Lake Beach (2050 N Illinois Rt 83)
- September 3: 3:30 p.m. – Press Conference
- September 3: 4:00 p.m. – Opening Ceremony
- September 3-7: The wall will be available 24/7 for visitation/reflection
- September 7: Noon – Closing Ceremony