It’s a bird. It’s a plane. No. Wait, it’s definitely a plane. Many planes actually. Vintage military planes, aerial acrobatics, helicopters, skydivers, Cessnas and more. It’s Lake County’s only airshow, Wings over Waukegan, the Northern Illinois Air Show. And it’s happening on one day only, Saturday, September 10th at the Waukegan National Airport. The air show is family-friendly and provides an up-close and very convenient air show experience for area residents.
Here are some tips to make your visit easier:
- The air show runs from 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m., but plan to arrive early, as large crowds are expected. The gates open at 9:30 a.m. Before the show begins, there are opportunities to get up close to the airplanes, meet the pilots and possibly go inside of a helicopter.
- Parking is FREE and there are two admission gates. The first is located on Beach Road at Lewis Avenue; the second is located on McAree Road at Yorkhouse Road. The first gate at Beach Road will likely be the least congested, according to the show’s website.
- You are welcome to bring your own lawn chairs, blankets, and cameras.
- Bring cash or debit cards for food and beverages, as there will be food vendors on site. ATM machines will be stationed at the gates.
- Alcohol, coolers, pets, bikes, roller skates and rollerblades, firearms, kites, footballs, and frisbees are NOT allowed into the show.
- The only restrooms will be porta potties located in the parking areas..
And what is the cost for this unique event? Military Personnel in uniform with an Active Duty Military ID, and children 12 and under are FREE. Adult admission is $15 (cash only). ATM’s will be at both gates. Parking is also FREE. Once you enter, you will be allowed back to your cars and the parking lots. However, no tailgating will be allowed during the show.
Pack up the kids, lawn chairs and cameras for a great weekend!
Have you been to the airshow at the Waukegan National Airport? What was your family’s favorite activity?