Did you know that Lake County has its very own air show? Why trek all the way down to Chicago, fight the crowds and pay way too much for parking when you can stay close to home. Wings Over Waukegan is an annual show held at Waukegan Airport at Green Bay Road and Yorkhouse Road.
This year’s show, September 6, 2014, will commemorate the 70th Anniversary of D-Day, and feature WWII era aircraft, in addition to a pyrotechnic display finale. And very exciting for any little aviation lovers out there, the show is viewed from the air field! Before the show starts you can walk the air field and view some of the planes, or sign up for a helicopter ride (for a fee). After the show, kids can meet some of the pilots and have their picture taken with them, too.
Here are some tips for your visit:
- Food and beverages will be available from a variety of vendors
- No adult beverages are permitted on the grounds
- Bring chairs or blankets, as there is no seating provided
- To secure a good seat and close parking, show producers suggest you arrive early
- Porta-potties are the only bathroom facilities available
- Show hosts suggest avoiding the intersection of Green Bay and Yorkhouse Roads
- Gates Open at 9:30 a.m., Show starts at Noon, Gates close at 5:00 p.m.
- In-Uniform Military & Kids Under 12 are Free, $10 admission at the gates
- Free Parking
In 2011 LLC contributor Genevieve attended the show with her family, and you can read her review here. She pointed out that young kids may be sensitive to the noise. Parents with little ones attending may want to sit far back from the main runway, or consider bringing ear protection for them. Depending on what time you arrive, there may be a longer walk to the seating area. Load up the stroller or wagon!
Have you attended the Waukegan’s air show in the past? Do you have any tips for this years attendees? Come back and let us know what you and your family think of this years show!
Waukegan Airport – Wings over Waukegan Airshow
September 6, 2014 9:30 a.m.
2358 W. Beach Rd., Waukegan
Check the website for detailed directions and parking info